Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Reflect and Relax.

On this past Sunday, Kirk spoke about the "January Blues" or the feeling of letdown after the Christmas hustle and bustle.  You know, the calm after the storm sorta speak. I have never been one to really dread this time of year, as I see a new year, new beginning, and those anticipated new year's resolutions.  Although I claimed to have never acknowledged the January blues, as I am looking over my work schedule, I added some extra shifts which one could easily conclude I was subconsciously preparing for the dreary January.

I post this because I have always been a go, go, go-er.  Not so much an adrenaline junky, but a busy junky--work hard and play hard.  I have had to learn to enjoy precious moments that fly by and not take family moments for granted.  I have always worn my heart on my sleeve.  A good quality at times, at times, not so great.  I have had to learn to make time to get to know others, their likes and dislikes, what makes them tick.  It's amazing, but after spending, my entire life with my family, I still spend the car rides home asking my husband, "Did you know that about my mom (or sister, or brother-in-law?)."

This Christmas was the first Christmas without my grandmother.  She was truly one of the most amazing women, beauty radiating inside and out.  If you met her, you were better for it; she could put sunshine in any day.  After opening many amazing gifts, my mom presented us all with Devotions of the Heart, a compilation of my grandmother's most cherished quotes, biblical verses, and thoughts. As I am thinking back, speechless does not often grace my vocabulary, but the only word I can think to describe this moment.  I will cherish it always and am so thankful for an often "techinically-challenged", caring mom who took the time to solidify memories. 

With this, I end today with page 29 of Suzanne Kersting Earnhart's Devotions from the Heart:

Thank God for Little Things

Thank you, God, for little things
that often come our way,
the things we take for granted
but don't mention when we pray,
The unexpected courtesy, the thoughtful
kindly, deed,
A hand reached out,to help us
in the time of sudden need-
Oh make us more aware, dear God,
of little daily graces
That come to us with "sweet surprise"
from never-dreamed-of-places.

                     -Helen Steiner Rice

In 2011, I hope to be able to do just this- live in the moments, bless others, and cherish life.

Thank you God for bubble baths, bubbly kids, and an amazingly supportive husband.

Running on His Love, the Zimmermans

No comments:

Post a Comment