Sunday, January 30, 2011

SUNDAYS, FUN-DAYS

Sunday mornings.  They have become my absolute favorite time of the week.  Aside from the typically lazy afternoon to follow, it's the delightful chaos in the morning that really gets me.
  Today, I got up to get ready before the babies awoke.  It's silent, which almost never happens these days, and gives me time to reflect, pray, and think about the week to come as well as its flip side.  It's the routine along with spontaneity that makes these mornings exciting. Kirk's sermon notes lying on the coffee table each week, pen in place, his Sunday best pressed and hanging on his special "outfit" hanger :), and the babies' clothes laid out and ready to rock.  The only things missing are Caleb on the couch and Callie's light on, which I would inevitably need to turn off...bummer. (We will look forward to that next week :) ).
  This week I was able to spend a Friday with my family.  It was an amazing day.  My family laughs because those who know me know I am constantly taking the babies and our family in for photo shoots. This week was no different; hello, milestone moments?! Aiden was getting his 9 month pictures taken, while Kate took great joy sabotaging every moment he was posing.  Balloons in face, monkey in basket, basket coming toward A, Kate smacking A-dawg after he reaches for the baited monkey or balloons...you get the drift.  At the end of the shoot, we put on Kate's snow suit and took her outside to play in the snow for the first time.  Never having been knee deep in snow, we were not sure how she would take to the wet, glistening goodness, but we are happy to report she is definitely half Canadian.  Kirk would make a snowball, hand it off to Kate, and Kate would choose to eat it or through it at Mom. Excellent (insert sarcasm), but nevertheless, so fun to watch.  Aiden made the littlest snow angel, and Kate was so incredibly happy spending a family day in the snow.
   After the photo shoot, we headed to see the Cavanaugh family in Valpo.  I was so excited as I have not seen the twins since our wedding.  I walked up to the door and there was a cut-out rainbow and sun posted for our arrival from Becca.  It was so sweet, as I am sad to report, she didn't remember who we were. As the door opened, there stood Becca and Brady.  I felt as though time stopped, a piece of life's puzzle put back in place.  I had spent so much time with their family throughout school, esp. the twins, and here they were running to the door, ponytail, leggings, and cords after I had left them in diapers, watching Dora.  This is the reason I take the pictures.
   While Heather and I were talking, I mentioned I have a really hard time with milestones.  I am so excited to see my children do or say new things or enter the next phase such as "tweenie" but saddened as I will never get to see some of those cherished moments again. (I confess I get really teary and emotional.) The cuddly cute, the wobbly stands, the first smile, first crush--they melt my heart and enter into the memory bank for keeps.  Fortunately, I was reminded of the goodness and beautiful moments to be created, after all, I do need to be reminded how incredible snow is from time to time, and Kate's carefree smile did just that Friday.
  As we were walking out the door, I told Heather we needed to do lunch sometime even with life being crazily busy.  Having five kids with five lives, she looked and said, "If you wait for time, you will never have it. It's a choice, and we will choose to do it." So true. Time never stops, life keeps running full speed, and the times you choose to stop and invest in those family moments, friendships, and awe-ha God moments, will NEVER be regretted.
  I'm off to the races, I'm hearing the little man!!

Running on His love, the Zimmermans
 

No comments:

Post a Comment